Special focus on Diabetes: High blood sugar damages blood vessels of the body. Retina vessels are particularly sensitive. Diabetic retinopathy can lead to severe visual impairment and retinal detachment. Therefore early treatment is the only way to preserve the sight.
Retinal Diagnostic and Treatment available:
- Diagnostic A-SCAN & B- SCAN If media opacities hinder a proper fundus examination this assessment is done in order to evaluate the posterior segment of the eye
- Fundus photography
- Digital Fluorescein angiography (FFA) Photography of the retina with a dye to study details of retinal blood vessels
- Retinal laser for treatment of diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusion, retinal break and retinal detachment
- ransscleral Cyclophotocoagulation
- Laser procedure for Glaucoma treatment
- Visual acuity testing for children (CAT, LH-Test)
- Orthoptic services
- Evaluation and provision of glasses in refractive error.
- Evaluation and treatment of amblyopia.
- Evaluation and provision of low vision devices
- Free distribution of vitamin A capsules to children with xerophthalmia.
- Post-operative follow-up on children after cataract surgery.
- Detailed corneal ulcer work up and management.
- Corneal ulcer scraping facility with Gram’s stain and KOH mount.
- Culture and Sensitivity facility
- Free admission of corneal ulcer patients in corneal ulcer ward.
- Tissue adhesive and Bandage contact lens application.
- Patients with severe cornea scarring are counseled on the possibility of cornea transplant.
- Intensive regular follow-up of patients after cornea transplant.
Glaucoma is a chronic disease leading to blindness if not treated in time and on a regular basis. Equipment to detect glaucoma:
- Visual field testing with Humphrey Field Analyzer.
- Nd YAG Laser iridotomy for glaucoma treatment
Contact Lense Services
Patients with low vision are advised on the use of visual aids, like special spectacles and magnifiers.
Counseling to incurable blind persons
If patients are found to be incurable blind, they receive counselling on orientation and mobility and on possibilities to earn income, e.g. through handicraft.
Parents of blind children are counselled on integrated schooling for blind children.