Special focus on Diabetes: High blood sugar damages blood vessels of the body. Retina vessels are particularly sensitive. Diabetic retinopathy can lead to severe visual impairment and retinal detachment. Therefore early treatment is the only way to preserve the sight.
Retinal Diagnostic and Treatment available:
- Diagnostic A-SCAN & B- SCAN
- Fundus photography
- Digital Fluorescein angiography (FFA) Photography of the retina with a dye to study details of retinal blood vessels
- Retinal laser for treatment of diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusion, retinal break and retinal detachment
- Transscleral Cyclophotocoagulation
- Laser procedure for Glaucoma treatment
- OCT evaluation for detection of retinal disease
If media opacities hinder a proper fundus examination this assessment is done in order to evaluate the posterior segment of the eye
Children Friendly Pediatric Ward:
- Visual acuity testing for children (CAT, LH-Test)
- Orthoptic services
- Evaluation and provision of glasses in refractive error.
- Evaluation and treatment of amblyopia.
- Evaluation and provision of low vision devices
- Free distribution of vitamin A capsules to children with xerophthalmia.
- Post-operative follow-up on children after cataract surgery.
- Squint Evaluation and Treatment
Cornea Transplantation / PK
- Detailed corneal ulcer work up and management.
- Corneal ulcer scraping facility with Gram’s stain and KOH mount.
- Free admission of corneal ulcer patients in corneal ulcer ward.
- Tissue adhesive and Bandage contact lens application.
- Patients with severe cornea scarring are counseled on the possibility of cornea transplant
Glaucoma is a chronic disease leading to blindness if not treated in time and on a regular basis. Equipment to detect glaucoma:
- Visual field testing with frequency doubling technology (FDT) or Humphrey Visual Field
- OCT evaluation for detection of glaucoma
- Nd YAG Laser iridotomy for glaucoma treatment
Patient's having best corrected visual VA < 6/18 are further evaluated at Low Vision Department. Those who are suffering from LV are advised on the use of visual aids, like special spectacles and magnifiers.
Counseling to incurable blind persons
If patients are found to be incurable blind, they receive counselling on orientation and mobility and on possibilities to earn income, e.g. through handicraft. Parents of blind children are counselled on integrated schooling for blind children.