Anterior Segment Fellowship (2 years)
- DO, DOMS, MS or MD (Ophthalmology)
- Age < 35 years
- Interest in Community Ophthalmology
- Ability to be self-critical and willing to learn
- Ability to integrate in a highly motivated team
- Ability to live in a rural environment with limited infrastructure
- Good teaching skills
- Good surgical hands
- Basic computer skills (E-mail, Internet, Powerpoint, Word)
- Language requirements: Fluent in English and Nepali or Hindi
SCEH and BEH have very busy OPDs with high daily patient numbers. After a few weeks, we expect the fellow to be familiar with:
- Patient screening with torchlight and direct ophthalmoscopy
- Slit lamp biomicroscopy including fundus examination with 90/78 D and 3-mirror contact lens
- Optic disc evaluation
- Applanation tonometry
- Indirect monocular and binocular ophthalmoscopy / fundus drawing
- Diagnosis and management of corneal ulcer (scraping, Lab-test)
- Basic assessment of Low Vision clients
- Basic assessment of pediatric patients
- Ultrasound biometry
We expect the fellow to bring and use his/her own lenses (20 and 78/90 D) for ophthalmoscopy.
Teaching and Continuous Medical Education
SCEH and BEH are teaching institutes for ophthalmologists, ophthalmic residents, ophthalmic assistants and eye workers. The fellow will actively participate in all teaching and CME programs. This will include preparation of papers, lectures, research work, case presentations etc.
Surgical training starts with sutured ECCE/PC-IOL surgery. Once this technique is mastered, sutureless cataract surgery (Fishhook Technique) is taught stepwise. Outcome of surgeries is continuously evaluated and has to be documented by the surgeon.
After 6 to 9 months of training we expect that the fellow will be able to perform 10 to 15 cataract surgeries per hour with consistently good results and contribute to clear the surgical workload. Depending on the surgical skills, the fellow will be able to perform a minimum of 6,000 sutureless cataract operations during the fellowship. Other surgical procedures (trabeculectomy, combined cataract / trabeculectomy, lid surgery, sac surgery etc.) are also taught.
During the later part of the fellowship phacoemulsification is taught stepwise and under supervision.
Accommodation with basic furniture is provided free of cost.
Cost for electricity and telephone have to be paid by the fellow.
Salary starts with 120,000 NRs (75,000 IRs) gross salary per month in the 1st year and will be increased to 134,400 NRs (84,000 IRs) in the 2nd year.
If your are interested and meet the above requirements, please send your application with detailed CV as well as 2 references to us (preferably by E-Mail). If we will find you eligible, we will invite you for an interview to Lahan/Biratnagar.